Nicqui is the founder and director of the dynamic boutique law firm Nicqui Galaktiou Inc. – a purely female firm specialising in the litigious and commercial spheres of law. Nicqui started her legal career in 1999 when she was admitted as an attorney and became a member of the Law Society of the Northern Provinces. She started her legal journey at Brian Kahn Inc. (the firm) where she completed her articles and was retained as an associate. Nicqui continued to excel in both the legal world and the firm which was recognized in 2003 when she was appointed as the youngest female director in the firm’s history.
For her last 13 years at the firm Nicqui worked as the Chief Operating Officer whilst also heading the Commercial, Litigation and Dispute Resolution Department. Nicqui has gained extensive experience in matters involving motions, trials, dispute resolution and arbitrations.
Her experience involves, in particular, a wide range of legal specializations, a selection of which include:
- Media Law – including appearances before the Press Council of South Africa, The Appeals Panel and the Broadcasting Complaints Commission;
- Commercial Litigation – in various industries including IT, engineering, construction, gaming and telecoms;
- Bankruptcy & Insolvency Inquiries – including some of the largest matters in the history of South Africa, such as the Retail ag inquiry, representing the former Master of the High Court and reporting directly to the then Minister of Justice, the Honourable Mr P Maduna, the Samsudin bankruptcy matter;
- Defamation and Damages Actions;
- Business Fraud, Bribery and Corruption – including matters involving the US Foreign Corrupt Practices Act and the UK Bribery Act;
- Tax and Employment Law including Restraints of Trade; and
- Reviews and appeals at the Supreme Court of Appeal.
Nicqui has represented clients such as Political Parties, Governments and large corporates, both private and listed South African entities (including ARB Electrical Wholesalers Ltd, Radiant Group Ltd, AVI Ltd, Gijima Group Ltd and Datacentrix Holdings Ltd). She has also represented a number of international clients – which are situated in the Middle East, Africa, North America, Europe, Mauritius and the United Kingdom.
Nicqui has a vast group of influential individual clients consisting of Heads of State (such as the former Zambian President, the Honourable Mr Rupiah Banda and His Excellency King Mswati III of Swaziland) and high profile individuals (including the Honourable Chairperson of Parliament Mrs Baleka Mbete, Entrepreneur Mr Robert Gumede, the Honourable leader of the Economic Freedom Fighters, Mr Julius Malema, the Former Treasurer General of the ANC, Mr Mathews Phosa, the Former Minister of Public Works and the Ambassador to Thailand, the Honourable Mr Geoff Doidge, World renowned fashion designer Mr Gavin Rajah and Grammar Award winning US singer Mr Kenny Lattimore).
Nicqui’s years of invaluable experience and involvement in high profile and complex matters and her attendance at the exclusive Leadership Course for Top Senior Female Lawyers held by the Law Society of Gauteng; have greatly contributed to her esteem, success and prominence in the legal fraternity making her one of the most influential and well respected attorneys in South Africa.
As a result of these extensive accomplishments she has become a member of the International Bar Association (which holds annual conferences around the world) a Business Women’s Association and a by-invitation only global network for women.
- BA Degree (University of the Witwatersrand)
- LLB Degree (University of South Africa)
- Higher Diploma in Company Law (University of the Witwatersrand)